Learn more about treatment options for crow's feet
Crow’s feet are the fine lines that form around the eyes. They are primarily caused by sun exposure, but smoking can contribute to their formation.
Why treat crow's feet
Physical, emotional and social reasons for treating crow’s feet include:
- Improved appearance
- Enhanced self-esteem
What you need to know
There are two main types of crow's feet:
Dynamic lines.These are produced by the actions of underlying muscles. Frowning, smiling and squinting activate them.
Static facial lines These are present at all times, even during sleep. These lines are actual lines present on the skin resulting from a long history of squinting, frowning and sun damage.
Crow's feet questions to ask a dermatologic surgeon
(Download a Crow's Feet Questionnaire to bring to your appointment)
- Which crow's feet procedure is the correct one for me? (What are the options?)
- What is the estimated cost of the procedure?
- How long is one appointment?
- How often will I need to receive treatment to remove my crow's feet?
- How far apart are the treatments?
- What are the common side effects or complications associated with the procedure?
- How can I prepare for the treatment/procedure?
- Does the treatment hurt?
- What are my pain management and anesthesia options?
- How long is the recovery time associated with my procedure?
- Do you have before-and-after patient images to help to prepare me for what to expect?
- Will someone walk me through the process before going in for treatment?
- What are the risks?
- What should I expect after the procedure is performed? (i.e., short-term and long-term effects; activity restrictions; expected recovery period)
General questions to ask before crow's feet procedures
- Is a doctor on site?
- Is the doctor board-certified in dermatology or in another specialty with equivalent training and experience?
- Was my medical history taken?
- Was I given an initial evaluation to determine if the technique or procedure is appropriate for my skin type?
- Did the doctor show me before-and-after photos?