Learn more about treatment options for excess fat
Excess fat and cellulite can cause a variety of cosmetic issues, including unattractive contouring and a dimpled "cottage cheese" appearance caused by fat cells protruding due to constricted fibrous bands under the skin.
Why treat excess fat
Physical and emotional reasons for treating excess fat include:
- Improved appearance.
- Enhanced self-esteem.
- Promotion of better health.
What you need to know
The best strategy to remove excess fat is through proper diet and exercise. Some stubborn areas, however, don't respond well to either diet or exercise. For these circumstances, several options are available, including liposuction, cryolipolysis, focused ultrasound, minimally invasive lasers and non-invasive procedures.
Do's and don'ts
Work out. Perform cardio exercises that elevate the heart rate.Watch your diet. Eat a healthy diet, focusing on vegetables, fruits and lean protein.
Indulge in unhealthy food. Avoid fast food, fatty or greasy foods. Lead a sedentary lifestyle.
Excess fat questions to ask a dermatologic surgeon
(Download a Excess Fat Questionnaire to bring to your appointment)
- Which excess fat procedure is the correct one for me? (What are the options?)
- What is the estimated cost of the procedure?
- How long is one appointment?
- How often will I need to receive treatment to remove my excess fat?
- How far apart are the treatments?
- What are the common side effects or complications associated with the procedure?
- How can I prepare for the treatment/procedure?
- Does excess fat removal hurt?
- What are my pain management and anesthesia options?
- How long is the recovery time associated with my procedure?
- Do you have before-and-after patient images to help to prepare me for what to expect?
- Will someone walk me through the process before going in for treatment?
- What are the risks?
- What should I expect after the procedure is performed? (i.e., short-term and long-term effects; activity restrictions; expected recovery period)
General questions to ask before excess fat removal
- Is a doctor on site?
- Is the doctor board-certified in dermatology or in another specialty with equivalent training and experience?
- Was my medical history taken?
- Was I given an initial evaluation to determine if the technique or procedure is appropriate for my skin type?
- Did the doctor show me before-and-after photos?