Frown Lines and Forehead Furrows
Learn more about the treatment options available for frown lines and forehead furrows.
Frown lines are the result of gathering or knitting the tissue between the eyebrows into a fold. They are caused by the repeated action of underlying muscles associated with facial expression. Years of squinting and frowning tend to leave deep wrinkles in the skin between the eyebrows and on the bridge of the nose, across the forehead and at the corners of the eyes.
Why treat frown lines and forehead furrows
On many people, frown lines produce an angry or sad look that detracts from a pleasant facial appearance. Physical, emotional and social reasons for treating frown lines and forehead furrows include:
- Improved appearance
- Enhanced self-esteem
What you need to know
There are two primary methods of treating frown lines and forehead furrows:
1. Neuromodulators (i.e., Botox; Dysport; Xeomin)
2. Soft-tissue fillers (i.e., Belotero; Juvederm; Radiesse; Restylane/Perlane; Sculptra; Voluma)
Do's and Don'ts
- Wear sunglasses. Sunglasses help prevent you from squinting because of the sun.
- Moisturize daily.
- Rest. Getting a full night’s sleep will help cut down on stress, a primary source of wrinkles.
- Tape. Place a small piece of cellophane tape on your forehead at home to remind you not to squint.
- Smoke. Smoking breaks down collagen, which gives skin its elasticity.
Frown line and forehead furrow questions to ask a dermatologic surgeon
(Download a Frown Line and Forehead Furrow Questionnaire to bring to your appointment)
- Which frown line and forehead furrow procedure is the correct one for me? (What are the options?)
- What is the estimated cost of the procedure?
- How long is one appointment?
- How often will I need to receive treatment to remove my frown line and forehead furrows
- How far apart are the treatments?
- What are the common side effects or complications associated with the procedure?
- How can I prepare for the treatment/procedure?
- Does the procedure hurt?
- What are my pain management and anesthesia options?
- How long is the recovery time associated with my procedure?
- Do you have before-and-after patient images to help to prepare me for what to expect?
- Will someone walk me through the process before going in for treatment?
- What are the risks?
- What should I expect after the procedure is performed? (i.e., short-term and long-term effects; activity restrictions; expected recovery period)
General questions to ask before frown line and forehead furrow procedures
- Is a doctor on site?
- Is the doctor board-certified in dermatology or in another specialty with equivalent training and experience?
- Was my medical history taken?
- Was I given an initial evaluation to determine if the technique or procedure is appropriate for my skin type?
- Did the doctor show me before-and-after photos?
| Before(left) and after(right) two syringes of Voluma to the mid-face.Photos courtesy of Suzanne Bruce, MD-Houston,Texas