March 15, 2012, Rolling Meadows, Ill. -- The American Society for Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS) has launched the Visiting Professor Program; a new initiative designed to support the training needs of dermatology residency programs and residents across the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico. The Visiting Professor Program invites approved ASDS member experts to visit dermatology residency programs to lecture, demonstrate and share their expertise.
“The ASDS often receives requests from residents across the country, who would like added exposure to cosmetic procedures beyond what’s taught in their own residency programs,” Susan Weinkle, MD, president of the ASDS, said. “Furthermore, we recognize the challenges faced by program directors who may have limited resources to provide training in certain areas of dermatology.
Today’s practitioner must be equipped to handle increasing patient demand for anti-aging, body sculpting and other cosmetic procedures. The Visiting Professor Program gives dermatology residency programs the opportunity to invite the experts in these areas of dermatologic surgery to demonstrate procedures and deliver lectures.”
The main focus areas for this year’s program include chemical peels, lasers, liposuction, vein treatments, and injectables, fillers and neurotoxins.
This year’s visiting professors:
• R. Rox Anderson, MD: specializes in lasers, from Boston, Mass.
• Harold J. Brody, MD: specializes in chemical peeling for photo aging and scarring and microdroplet silicone for scarring and HIV lipoatrophy, from Atlanta, Ga.
• Alastair Carruthers, FRCPC: specializes in injectables and cosmetic procedures, from Vancouver, Canada
• Mitchel P. Goldman, MD: specializes in cosmetic surgery, including phlebology, vein surgery or sclerotherapy, and laser surgery, from San Diego, Calif.
• Thomas E. Rohrer, MD: specializes in Mohs surgery, reconstruction, laser treatments, filler injections and neuromodulator injections, from Chestnut Hill, Mass.
• E. Victor Ross, MD: specializes in laser and cosmetic dermatology, from San Diego, Calif.
The ASDS Visiting Professor Program allows experts in the specialty to share their clinical expertise, personal insights and perspectives in dermatologic surgery, practice management, and patient care. The program fosters increased competence, improved performance in practice, and better patient outcomes, while furthering the specialty of dermatologic surgery.
Program participants will receive the following benefits:
• Learn directly from renowned experts
• Expand knowledge and understanding of key topics
• Obtain unique and invaluable perspectives
• Learn about new and upcoming treatments and techniques
• Receive exposure to an expanded field of cases
• Enhance exposure to cosmetic dermatology procedures
Learn more about the Visiting Professors program here.
About the ASDS
The American Society for Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS) is the largest specialty organization exclusively representing dermatologic surgeons who have unique training and experience to treat the health, function and beauty of your skin. ASDS members are pioneers in the field. Many are involved in the clinical studies that bring popular treatments to revitalize skin and fill and diminish wrinkles to the forefront. Their work has helped create and enhance many of the devices that remove blemishes, hair and fat, and tighten skin. Dermatologic surgeons are also experts in skin cancer prevention, detection and treatment. As the incidence of skin cancer rises, dermatologic surgeons are committed to taking steps to minimize the life-threatening effects of this disease. For more information, visit asds.net.
American Society for Dermatologic Surgery